Welcome to English writing site!!!

Topics search engine

Tuesday 6 April 2010

Write a story with title “A spoilt child”

Topic: Write a story with title “A spoilt child”.

Outline:
1. Describe how guilty you felt as you recalled the events leading to your father’s death.
2. Describe the changes from a life of luxury to your present middle-class life.
3. Describe your refusal to accept these changes and the selfish methods you adopted to get your way.
4. Describe how your father did something illegal in order to give in to your demands.
5. Describe how your father met with his death.



The cemetery was desolate and gloomy. As I knelt by the headstone, the guilt of causing my father’s death swept over me. A prosperous stock-broker, my father had ensured that I had everything that money could buy. Then, when the stock market crashed in October, my whole world was transformed from a paradise of wealth to a less luxurious one.

Our three-storey bungalow in Holland Village was sold and we shifted into a four-room flat in Hougang. Unlike our beautifully furnished home in Holland Village, this dwelling was simple. We were left with just enough money to live the life of an average, middle-class Singaporean family.

I refused to accept these drastic changes in our life, and would often throw violent tantrums whenever I wanted something that my father could not afford. My father, who loved me dearly, found ways and means to give me whatever I asked for.

The final straw came when I demanded a brand-new hi-fi set. When my father explained that it would be quite impossible for him to get it for me till after a few months, I stormed into my room in a rage. I refused to take my meals and refused to speak to my parents. My father immediately made up his mind to get the new hi-fi for me. Within a few weeks, a gleaming new hi-fi set stood in my room.

One night shortly afterwards, when we were all in bed, the doorbell rang. We were surprised to find two policemen there, with a warrant of arrest to my father. He had embezzled a large sum of his company’s funds. I stood dazed as my father walked out handcuffed. Just then, he broke loose from the officials’ grip and jumped over the parapet. He died instantly.

Although the court recorded a verdict of suicide, I knew that it was I, with my unreasonably selfish demands, who had pushed him to his death. As I stood over his grave, I realized too late what a horribly spoilt child I had been. I have, since then, resolved to be the most obedient and understanding child to my mother.

No comments:

Post a Comment