Welcome to English writing site!!!

Topics search engine

Sunday 25 April 2010

Describe what you do when your pocket money runs short

Topic: Describe what you do when your pocket money runs short

Outline:
1. Describe briefly what you spend money on.
2. Describe how you have to cut down on certain things when your pocket money runs short.
3. Describe ways of earning more money till you get next allowance.


At the beginning of each month, our parents hand out our allowances, together with lengthy lectures on how to use our money carefully.

Despite all my parents’ words of caution, I have not been able to budget for the whole month. My pockets would burn as soon as money is placed in them and I felt compelled to rush off to buy the latest music records, fanciful stationery and that one suit of clothes that would make my wardrobe complete. By middle of the month, I would realize, to my dismay, that I had used up most of my allowance. For the next two weeks, I would be forced to practice what my parents said they used to do in their school days – walk to school and go without tidbits.

Sometimes, when I am very desperate for a few extra dollars, I would do odd jobs in the neighborhood. I have weeded the garden for the Tans, done some shopping for old widowed Mrs. Lan, spring-cleaned the Tam’s little house and washed my father’s car. I have also sold my novels and magazines to the second-hand bookshop down the road. The shopkeeper, knowing my predicament, is always amused whenever I come by with a large plastic bag of old novels and magazines. However, I know that this source of income cannot last. I would even attempt to sell old games sets and toys to my friends who are willing to buy them.

I know I should learn to be thriftier. However, as soon as I have any money in my hands, it will be gone before I even realize it. Perhaps I am what psychologists call a compulsive spender.

No comments:

Post a Comment